Bringing Back Boobs, Butts, and Feets, Pt. 9

Bringing Back Boobs, Butts, and Feets
Ugh. I didn’t want to have to write this blog post. I didn’t want to need to have to write it. I certainly didn’t think it would happen, but looking at what I’m about to describe in a positive light, it taught me some things about The Business.

So I’ve debated with myself over whether or not I should call any businesses out over this or if I should just leave them anonymous. I figured it wouldn’t be fair because other similar businesses might have done the same thing. I doubt it, but whatever.

Anyway, you may have noticed that robbysuave.com disappeared for exactly a month. And those were the weeks in which I was trying to get Boobs, Butts, and Feets out to the public. During the weeks or even months leading up to an album release, I’ve grown to enjoy posting about what I’m doing once a week or two. Without warning, my web host deactivated my account. This disabled my website, my e-mail, and other stuff. Lame. At this point I don’t even remember exactly how it went, but I remember a week or two before they shut me off, my work computer was blocking me from visiting robbysuave.com, saying it was infected with malware. So I contacted my host, explaining the problem, and they said there weren’t any viruses or anything. Soon after, my site is down without warning. What I’m pretty sure was days later, I got them to sort of explain what happened: that I had infected files…that was irritating for obvious reasons. But I did what I needed to do to remedy that problem in a few hours probably. But did they reactivate my account? No.

I had to communicate with them via support tickets, and to make a long story short, it took weeks of communicating back and forth to find out that they hadn’t reactivated my account because I had unrelated site content stored on the server. Rewind back a few years when they brought up the same thing and I had to write what amounted to a page-long essay about what it all was. Ultimately, I had satisfied them enough to turn my account back on. It took 30 days for that to happen. Man.

Oh, but that’s not all. While I was dealing with my web host, I was also having to chat with my digital music distributor. This took a week or more, but I’ll boil it down to this: They refused to publish the album as I wanted it: Boobs, Butts, and Feets. In short, I could have it as Boobs, Butts and Feets or Boobs, Butts, And Feets. The former is technically not improper, but I use Oxford commas because I’m not dumb. The latter is just plain incorrect grammar. Via e-mail, I had to argue with them about the Oxford comma. It was almost funny. Almost. After linking them to a Wikipedia page explaining the Oxford comma, they eventually let me submit the album with the correct title.

While on that topic, I had noticed that a track title on Punk Rebel Renegade went through without me knowing: “Tall, Dark, and Handsome.” I think it originally went out as “Tall, Dark, And Handsome,” but they said they would have the song title changed. I haven’t checked everywhere, but I did notice that not all of the outlets have the corrected song title just yet. Maybe it’s a low priority thing, so it will take them a while. I don’t know.

Anyway, I won the battle of the album title, but not with a song title. The first track on the album SHOULD be called “(S)AWESOME INTRO.” Now, I generally do not like creative capitalization or whatever, but since the title is a play on Saw (like the movie) and the word “awesome,” I couldn’t think of a better way to capitalize the letters. I fought hard, but I had to compromise. So on iTunes and Spotify and such, you’ll see the song title as “(S)awesome Intro.” But on Bandcamp and YouTube, where I can control song titles, they appear as I originally wanted them.

To add insult to injury, all that was happening when I was working overtime at my real job. So I’d come home at 6:30 or whatever, and have to reply to support tickets and e-mails for what felt like the rest of the night.

What has this taught me that I should have already known probably? I need to make sure everything is on the up and up before thinking a new album is going to be ready. Boobs, Butts, and Feets is the third album I’ve released so far. I didn’t have any problems with the other 2. I had no idea that an Oxford comma would be such a big deal.

The idea was to (re)release BBAF around its 8th year anniversary in March. But March turned to April and April turned to May. That said, it technically isn’t a new album even with all the new work that went into it, so it’s not possible to lock down a static release date with all the different web stores anyway. But my next 2 projects are different. One of them is slightly akin to Primus’ Suck On This album. And the other is like…I don’t know, a bunch of other albums. Apparently in order to get your upcoming album available for preorder on iTunes (and maybe other places), you need to have it submitted like 6 weeks in advance of the release date. So for this one particular project I want to be done with this year, I guess I’ll need to be completely done with it a few weeks earlier than I thought. And if that goes as smoothly as I’m hoping for, I’ll release that other cool compilation of songs that has been brewing. Depending on how good it ends up sounding, it may or may not be distributed in the same way as my albums have been. It might be a SoundCloud-only thing or something. I don’t know. We’ll see.

Stay tuned for more news as it develops!

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *